Preparation: about 10 minutes; total time: about 1 hour. Makes 4 - 6 tacos if you use large taco shells.
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1 can black beans (15 oz)
- 1 white onion
- 1 avocado
- 1 small tomato, diced
- Oil (olive oil or neutral oil)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Black pepper
- Soft taco shells
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Peel and quarter the onion. Dice one quarter and place in a small serving bowl. Slice remaining three quarters of the onion.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Sweat or sauté the sliced onion with ¼ tsp salt, and black pepper to taste. Stir occasionally.
- Slice the tempeh into ½-inch cubes.
- About 1 minute before removing onions from skillet, add paprika and stir to mix thoroughly. Remove onions from skillet and set aside on a plate.
- Increase heat to medium and add 1 Tbsp oil to the same skillet the onions were cooked in. Sauté tempeh, stirring frequently, until browned on most sides. Remove tempeh from skillet and set on a plate to cool.
- Add beans to the skillet and heat through. Stir cumin and chili powder into the beans and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Peel the avocado and cut into ½-inch cubes.
- (Optional) Use a toaster oven or microwave to heat the taco shells.
- Place browned tempeh, avocado, beans, cooked onion, raw diced onion, diced tomato, cheese, and taco shells on the table.