I’m working on a side project that uses DynamoDB. I got tired of waiting for my DynamoDB table changes to complete, so I decided to try…
Ryan Muller Kennedy Software engineer
- React, Redux, GraphQL
- Node.JS, shell scripting
- HTML, CSS, JS, browser DOM
- Mobile and responsive web
- Most common databases
- Amazon Web Services
- Cloud Practitioner certified
- CloudFormation, Terraform
- Git version control
- Familiar with other languages (Java, Python, C++, …)
- Technical presentations
- Requirements gathering
- Open source projects
- Working remotely
- Code review
- English and French languages
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute (Worcester, MA). Graduated in 2013 from the Mechanical Engineering program with high distinction.
- Agawam High School (Agawam, MA). Graduated in 2009.
- Programming side projects
- Arduino/Raspberry Pi/3D printing
- Parsers, code generation
- Atom/VS Code extensions
- Data visualization
- Working with OAuth
I strongly believe that there is no point to delivering code without thinking about its consumers — both end-users and the “next developer”. My process involves clarifying requirements to make sure my team and I produce the right code, and designing for flexibility and disposability to anticipate changes in those requirements.
I would like to work in a place where I am empowered to architect a flexible, maintainable application; where I can work with stakeholders to design a better product together; and where I can spend time mentoring others through discussion and code review.
Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research Software engineer, 2014 — present
- Built a large scientific web app using React and Redux; worked closely with the backend team to suggest API designs which would enable rapid development of front-end features
- Worked with a team to design, build, and promote a React-based toolkit for generating applications and publishable components
- Built and deployed proofs-of-concept using Amazon Web Services and Terraform, including an OAuth provider on top of existing auth services
- Communicated closely with project managers and stakeholders; iterated on project requirements
- Provided mentorship to less-experienced team members
- Maintained the company's “Open Source Initiative”, allowing engineers a path to publishing certain internal projects on GitHub
Local Vyntage Consulting engineer, 2017 — present
- Modified an existing codebase for an up-and-coming online T-shirt business to allow it to load more quickly; solved small bugs
Kennship Owner/engineer, 2016 — present
- Designed, implemented, and ran a web app for a psychology study using React, GraphQL, Amazon Web Services, and Terraform
- Worked with clients to determine requirements and delivery timeline
- Wrote flexible code to anticipate changes in requirements
- Adapted a pre-existing codebase written in PHP and MySQL for use in a new study
- Software engineer at Rakuten Loyalty, 2013. Wrote MongoDB batch processing scripts for business analytics.
- Lead R&D at Studifi, 2013. Worked on front-end features for an online education platform. Designed and built a tool to allow teachers to annotate PDFs in the browser.
- “MQP” capstone project, WPI, 2013. Worked with a partner to design, build and write code for a working 3D scanner. Used C++, Qt, and OpenCV to design a friendly end-user application for performing scans. Evaluated and selected commodity hardware to build an inexpensive device.
- Freelance programmer, 2011-2012. Built small mobile web apps.